Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • nursejdavis: also the time is wayyy of its only 930 pm???
    March 14, 2019, 02:29:18 AM
  • nursejdavis: I am looking for a few Press Releases from Kevin Hillman that have disappeared.... not sure why they would be hidden from the public unless they contain narcs who have gotten their charges dropped for their cooperation. Seems the same Press Releases were also deleted from Facebook. Thanks for any help in locating these
    March 14, 2019, 02:24:50 AM
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM

Author Topic: the economy  (Read 2280 times)

Offline fish

• View Profile
the economy
« on: April 01, 2008, 03:01:46 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Many believe we are in or heading for a recession. Wrong!
There are challenges in the economy, always will be. that is what makes it strong.
Houseing: imo houses have been over priced for quite some time. they have been selling to an increasing population here. Material costs have gone up, but I still think they have been over priced. The ones with good credit are going to get some good deals on homes.
The subprime loans( also known as adjustable loans) have been given too freely by lenders to people that didn't qualify a conventional loan. they both knew the risks.
Fuel costs have gone up because of speculation on the futures board. There is no shortage and even a decrease in demand last month. that same futures board has gold and silver going nuts because of the housing         " crisis".
Ethanol is a hoax that is costing us big time. corn goes up, feed goes up fuel goes up, everything at the store goers up. Ethanol is an inferior fuel, but good for the small engine repair business.
Many things in the economy are cyclic. after the long winter, I expect housing sales and the economy in general to pick up despite the gov'ts attempts to fix it. We live with in a market economy. with little meddling from the gov't, it always recovers.

Offline murfyzlaw

• My beautiful grandsons
    • View Profile
Re: the economy
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 03:31:10 AM »
Hope your right fish.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Remember that no matter how bad things are in your life, there are others dealing with much worse obstacles, and be thankful for what you have.

shadylane

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 10:06:10 AM »
With out regulations "meddling as you called it" the market will boom and bust. Remember 1929, most of the regulations we have now are in response to that terrible time. It was great of the super rich since they can make money during the boom years then buy during the bust years, but it is terrible for the average working man. Be careful about what you ask for, you may get it.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 11:59:04 PM »
"meddling" is when the gov't interferes with markets. not necessarilly regulations. some regulation is necessary.
The stimulus program is unnecessary. the market will correct itself without adding to the debt. liberals should be against adding to the debt!
The not so rich can also prosper. living within your means goes a long way when investing for the future. Define the "average working man".

shadylane

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 12:46:02 PM »
Barrowing money from foreign country's to repair the infrastructure of Iraq, caused by the "shock and augh" show that bush preformed isn't a wise investment. Also if you don't know what the average working man is then I can't explain it to you.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 02:28:18 PM »
Then don't use terms you can't define.
What does iraq have to do with this thread?
despite economic problems, in some parts of the country, there seems to be a lot of "help wanted" signs in this area. Look at the help wanted thread. also the fort is hiring  for a lot of different fields. There will always be economic problems. Mostly are regional.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 02:31:48 PM »
The clintons have done well with the economy!
April 5,2008
Clintons Made $109 Million in Last 8 Years By MIKE McINTIRE
Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton and former President Bill Clinton released tax data Friday showing they earned $109 million over the last eight years, an ascent into the uppermost tier of American taxpayers that seemed unimaginable in 2001, when they left the White House with little money and facing millions in legal bills.
The bulk of their wealth has come from speaking and book-writing, which together account for almost $92 million, including a $15 million advance — larger than previously thought — from Mr. Clinton’s 2004 autobiography, “My Life.” The former president’s vigorous lecture schedule, where his speeches command upwards of $250,000, brought in almost $52 million.
During that time, the Clintons paid $33.8 million in federal taxes and claimed deductions for $10.2 million in charitable contributions. The contributions went to a family foundation run by the Clintons that has given away only about half of the money they put into it, and most of that was last year, after Mrs. Clinton declared her candidacy.
Mrs. Clinton’s campaign released the eight years of income tax information late Friday, following a rising clamor on the campaign trail for her to follow the lead of her opponent, Senator Barack Obama, who had previously disclosed his tax returns for the same period. In what proved to be an awkward juxtaposition, the disclosure of the records — which revealed the Clintons to be in the top one-hundredth of 1 percent, or roughly 14,500, of all taxpayers — came on the day that Mrs. Clinton called for the creation of a cabinet-level post to tackle poverty.
In releasing seven years of tax returns, plus a summary of income for last year, the Clinton campaign noted that the couple had disclosed all their income tax records since Mr. Clinton was governor of Arkansas. Neither Mr. Obama, of Illinois, nor Senator John McCain of Arizona, the presumptive Republican nominee, has released his 2007 tax-return information, and Mr. McCain has not released tax returns from previous years.
“The Clintons have now made public 30 years of tax returns, a record matched by few people in public service,” said Jay Carson, a campaign spokesman. “None of Hillary Clinton’s presidential opponents have revealed anything close to this amount of personal financial information.”
Mr. Obama’s tax returns show that he and his wife, Michelle, reported about $1 million in income in 2006, much of it from his book deals. Mr. McCain’s wife, Cindy, an heiress to a beer distributorship fortune, is believed to be worth tens of millions of dollars, but the exact amount is unclear.
Speaking to a statewide convention of North Dakota Democrats in Grand Forks on Friday, Mrs. Clinton criticized the Bush administration’s tax cuts, which she said favored the rich, then referred to the tax data she and her husband released earlier in the day.
“Now don’t get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against rich people,” she said. “As a matter of fact, my husband, much to my surprise and his, has made a lot of money since he left the White House, by doing what he loves doing most — talking to people. But we didn’t ask for George Bush’s tax cuts. We didn’t want them, and we didn’t need them.”
Although there is no requirement that candidates release their tax returns, it has been common practice since the 1970s; a release typically occurs after a candidate becomes a party nominee, not during the primaries.
The returns provide the most detailed look at the Clintons’ finances since 2000, when they last made their returns public, and in many ways provide an unusually detailed look at the earning power of a former president. Never before has the spouse of a former president run for office, forcing disclosure of their finances.
In fact, since Mrs. Clinton announced her campaign for president, controversies involving her husband’s business and philanthropic endeavors have occasionally raised questions about the potential for ethical conflicts should she win the White House. Among them is Mr. Clinton’s partnership with Ronald W. Burkle, the billionaire investor and supermarket magnate, whose deals have included investing money for the government of Dubai and acquiring a stake in a Chinese media company.
Mr. Clinton had previously not disclosed what he earned from that partnership, but the tax returns show he collected at least $12.6 million since 2002, and possibly as much as $15.3 million, from his work as an adviser and rainmaker for Mr. Burkle’s Yucaipa Companies. The lack of clarity is because the Clintons released only a summary of their 2007 income, which lists $2.7 million in partnership income but does not identify sources. Based on previous years’ returns, it is likely that income came from Yucaipa.
Since 2002, the former president has provided investment advice and helped drum up business for several domestic and foreign funds in Yucaipa’s portfolio, one of two consulting arrangements he entered into after leaving office. Representatives of the Clintons have said that Mr. Clinton has made arrangements to dissolve his Yucaipa partnership if his wife wins the nomination, to avoid possible ethical conflicts.
The other consulting arrangement Mr. Clinton has had was with InfoUSA, a consumer database company run by a friend, Vinod Gupta, who gave $3.3 million in consulting contracts to Mr. Clinton beginning in 2003, according to court records related to a shareholder lawsuit against Mr. Gupta. The shareholders accused Mr. Gupta of improperly spending company money on the consulting agreements and on private jet travel for the Clintons.
It is not clear from the tax returns exactly how much Mr. Clinton earned from InfoUSA each year, but a summary of the Clintons’ income from 2007 released by Mrs. Clinton’s campaign said Mr. Clinton was paid $400,000 by InfoUSA that year.
The returns show that Mr. Clinton hit the ground running after leaving office, bringing in $13.7 million from speaking and writing during his first year as a private citizen, a huge leap from the $416,000 the Clintons reported the previous year.
Since then, Mr. Clinton has earned $29.6 million from two books, “My Life” and “Giving,” while Mrs. Clinton has collected $10.5 million from two books, “Living History” and “It Takes a Village.” She donated $1.1 million from book proceeds to charity.
Mr. Clinton last year earned $6.3 million from “Giving,” a book on philanthropy, and reported giving $1 million of that to charity. In the book, Mr. Clinton espouses his own formula for charitable donations, recommending that people give away 5 percent of their income to charitable causes. “If giving by the wealthiest Americans even approached these levels,” he wrote, “I’m convinced it would spark an enormous outpouring of contributions from Americans of more modest means.”
The pace of the Clintons’ own charitable giving, which peaked last year at $3 million, has not always kept up with their income, and by at least one measure, has sometimes fallen short of the spirit of the 5 percent goal, which is to get money into the hands of charities that do good works.
In 2002, for instance, they reported income totaling $9.5 million and $115,000 in gifts to charity. In other years, they have given much larger amounts to their family foundation, but it has yet to disburse all of the money.
The Clintons took a tax deduction in 2004 for $2.5 million in charitable gifts, $2 million of which went to their family foundation, which as a tax-exempt nonprofit is considered a charity under the tax code. That same year, the foundation gave away just $221,000 to charitable groups, according to its tax return.
A representative of the Clintons said that when they and their foundation filed their 2007 tax returns, the records would show that all of the $3 million they gave to the foundation last year had been passed on to other charities. That will account for more than half of all the charitable donations that the foundation has made since 2001, according to a review of its tax returns.
www.nytimes.com

Offline murfyzlaw

• My beautiful grandsons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 11:00:45 PM »
I don't understand what the above has to do with now? So what if the Clinton's made money .  And what does it have to do with our economy?  Ole Bill had to pay a lot of lawyer fees, he had to do something.

Remember that no matter how bad things are in your life, there are others dealing with much worse obstacles, and be thankful for what you have.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 02:34:39 AM »
it reflects on the economy that hillary is brow beating. the clintons did well since leaving office.

shadylane

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 07:48:01 AM »
Haliburtan and BIG OIL have made lots of money since bush got to be presedent. But it hasn't been good for the economy.

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 02:45:46 PM »
a lot of companies have made lots of money since W took office. And a lot are not connected to iraq. same old tired rhetoric.
But how about healthcare? The price of oil is determined by the futures board, not big oil. The government makes more on oil through taxes than "big oil". Health care sets the price for healthcare. the prices are not based on what people can afford. are any prices dropping? No. why aren't the libs making the same noise about healthcare costs? Because the dems want to control it. They want to control how our healcare is administered. They cannot contro oil, and with the taxes the gov't collects they don't need to. But no noise to reighn in healthcare costs, only proposals to control it and the access. Insurance is the biggest reason healthcare costs so much. Lasik surgery is not covered by insurance in most cases. the price has dropped significantly since the procedure began.
When my daughter had dental work for braces and then the braces, I got a better deal not having insurance than a person I worked with that had insurance. That person had a deductable to meet and had copays for every visit. I had all the costs in one price that was cheaper than his that was covered by insurance.
So stick the tired old rhetoric of "big oil". let's see some action to reign in health cost from "big healthcare" without controlling it's access. the government investigates gouging at gas stations, let's see the same approach made to healthcare costs.

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 02:55:51 PM »
We were told the same thing by the Chiropractor -- It would be cheaper for you to come here as a cash patient than as an insurance patient ---hmmmmmm
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline fish

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 03:09:15 PM »
college tuition is another example. when va benefits go up, when pell grants are granted more, what happens to tuition? where is the outrage by the gov't for "big tuition".

Offline 02Tundra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 03:30:41 PM »
I'm so sick of hearing the same old crap about "It's Bushes fault" for everything that has ever gone wrong in this Country.  Well, the economy was pretty damn good for the past several years, after 9/11 and just recently took a nose dive, because that damn Bush allowed banks to give ARMs to people that didn't qualify for the loan in the first place amoung other things. 

We sure a hell don't need our taxes to be increased at a time when people are having a hard time making ends meet, but that's exactly what your going to get with Obama and Clinton.  I could give a damn who someone votes for as long as they vote.   

Offline Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 03:35:05 PM »
And as long as they vote Republican (lol).
....and that night as the moon crossed the mountain, one more Coyote was heard...

Offline murfyzlaw

• My beautiful grandsons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 03:37:37 PM »
it reflects on the economy that hillary is brow beating. the clintons did well since leaving office.

So ?  You know and Ex-President and a Senator are going to make money.  Bill did by doing public speaking mostly.  what is wrong with that?  It sure doesn't effect the economy.
I'm so sick of hearing the same old crap about "It's Bushes fault" for everything that has ever gone wrong in this Country.  Well, the economy was pretty damn good for the past several years, after 9/11 and just recently took a nose dive, because that damn Bush allowed banks to give ARMs to people that didn't qualify for the loan in the first place amoung other things. 

We sure a hell don't need our taxes to be increased at a time when people are having a hard time making ends meet, but that's exactly what your going to get with Obama and Clinton.  I could give a damn who someone votes for as long as they vote.   

A lot has gone wrong since Bush took office, not saying it is all his fault but ...., it is almost like he jinxed us.  Maybe from now on we should have a democrat and republican president, even things out.  Yea I know that just isn't feasible. (sp)