Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • nursejdavis: also the time is wayyy of its only 930 pm???
    March 14, 2019, 02:29:18 AM
  • nursejdavis: I am looking for a few Press Releases from Kevin Hillman that have disappeared.... not sure why they would be hidden from the public unless they contain narcs who have gotten their charges dropped for their cooperation. Seems the same Press Releases were also deleted from Facebook. Thanks for any help in locating these
    March 14, 2019, 02:24:50 AM
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM

Author Topic: New York City Woman Sued for Smoking by Neighbors in Her Apt  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
New York City Woman Sued for Smoking by Neighbors in Her Apt
« on: April 05, 2008, 05:58:41 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

New York City Woman Sued for Smoking by Neighbors in Her BuildingBy JOHN STOSSELApril 4, 2008 —

Do you smoke? Well, you better be careful where. I don't smoke, and Idon't like the smell, but what some people are doing to smokers makesme say give me a break.
For the last 12 years, Galila Huff has owned Caffé la Fenicé,   a restaurant serving Italian food on the Upper West Side of New York City.
Smoking there is forbidden.  New York state bans it in all restaurants and bars.
Huff's apartment is a few blocks away at The Ansonia, an ornateturn-of-the-century building that both Babe Ruth and Arturo Toscaninionce called home.
Huff lives there alone except for her Chihuahua, and her cigarettes.  For 40 years, she's smoked a pack or two a day.
But then in October, she got a letter from her neighbors. Itsaid, "Dear Resident, immediately cease smoking in your apartment,unless and until you take adequate steps to properly ventilate yoursmoke out of your apartment such that none enters the common hallway."
Huff couldn't believe it.  First she can't smoke in her own restaurant, now she can't smoke in her own apartment?
"I mean the cigarettes smell, yeah. But I'm not puffing into their faces," she said.
The complainants -- Jonathan and Jenny Selbin -- wouldn't agreeto a television interview, but they did file a lawsuit against Huff,saying she is "willfully, intentionally, recklessly and/or negligentlyendangering the health of plaintiffs and their 4-year-old son. & Asevidenced by her refusal to address the grave danger posed to thehealth of a small child, despite repeated requests and warnings,defendant's conduct is actuated by evil and/or reprehensible motives."
Huff's dog didn't escape mention in the lawsuit either. Thelawsuit continued, "Such motives are also evidenced by the fact thatafter plaintiffs complained about the smoke, defendant encouraged herdog to urinate on plaintiffs' property and in front of their doorway."
When asked whether it's true that her dog urinated on herneighbor's property, Huff said, "I never saw that, but maybe. I don'tknow." The dog had no comment.
Legal System 'a Tool for Bullying'?Huff took steps to insulate her apartment. The apartment buildingdid construction work, sealed off air ducts and made sure no smokecould get from her apartment to the Selbins', but now the neighborswere complaining about smoke in the hallway.
And who are these neighbors? Surprise! They're lawyers.Jonathan Selbin is a partner in the big law firm Lieff Cabraser Heimann& Bernstein. He made sure his special skills were clear to Huff ina letter: "We are both lawyers, and both litigators, for whom the usualbarriers to litigation are minimal."
That's very true. Reading that drove me to write an Op-Ed for the Wall Street Journal (CLICK HERE to read).
"Without any question, the legal system has become a tool forbullying in this country," said Philip Howard, chair of the legalreform group Common Good. "And if you're a lawyer, and you don't have to go out and spend money for another lawyer, you can use it as a hammer."
"People think of lawsuits as kind of a neutral process & have yourday in court," Howard said. "Being in a lawsuit is a traumatic event,and if someone sues you, for almost anything & it's just like abludgeon. It changes your life. You can't sleep at night."
He's right. Remember the Chungs, the dry cleaners in suburbanWashington, D.C., who were sued because they reportedly lost one pairof pants?
When the Chungs found the pants days later and presented themto their customer, he refused to accept them and claimed they were notthe pants he had given them, despite the matching tag, and promptlyfiled a lawsuit. Not for their value, about $800, but for $67 million.
The man who filed that suit was -- surprise again -- a lawyer.He was a local judge, in fact, named Roy Pearson. Pearson took hiscomplaint to trial. He did drop the damage amount from $67 millionthough -- to $54 million. The case was finally dismissed, but becauseof the dispute, the Chungs had to close one of their two stores.
'This Is An Abuse'Likewise, Huff says the Selbins' lawsuit has taken a toll on her."Almost for one year, I'm not sleeping and I'm having stomachache."
The "20/20" team didn't smell any smoke in the common spaceoutside Huff's door. And, the Ansonia isn't your typical apartmentbuilding. The hallways are huge, 10 feet across and 100 feet long. Youcould drive a car through there. Any smoke that comes out of anapartment would dissipate. And the door of the lawyers who are suing isat least 50 feet from Huff's main entrance.
Still, smoke can leak out from many places, so Huff worked toreduce the smell. She says she's tried to quit smoking, but failed. Shegot four air purifiers & big ones. "I was trying to do everythingto change what I could change or what I could add: the machine, thewindows, to seal the apartment. I did everything that I could havedone. & This is an abuse."
And it's not as if she intruded on the Selbins' space. Huff haslived in her apartment for 15 years. The Selbins moved next door fiveyears ago.
"I was first here and when they come to buy the apartment &  they didn't smell it?"

When we asked the Selbins about that, Jonathan Selbin wrote us," I have lived in the building since 1999. My wife and I looked at whatis now my apartment on several occasions, and on those occasions therewas no strong smell of smoke in the hallways. I do not know why thatwas -- perhaps she was away during those visits. Or perhaps it wasbecause I visited during the day, and the smoke is usually worst firstthing in the morning and again in the evening, in other words, timesshe is home."
One other point. Their building is on Broadway in New YorkCity. There are lots of chimneys, and exhaust fumes from cars, trucks,and buses. How pristine does the air have to be? We're breathing allkinds of things around here.
This week Jonathan Selbin wrote ABC News and asked, "Have youasked Ms. Huff how she would react if we put dog poison in the sharedhallway?" So we asked her.
"How can you say something like this?" Huff said.
Selbin also wrote ABC News, "We also do not want to try to tellMs. Huff to stop smoking (in her home or anywhere else), nor is it ourbusiness what she does in the privacy of her home. It is only becauseher smoke comes into our common, shared hallway that it has become ourbusiness."
You don't want Jonathan Selbin getting into your business.  He's a class action lawyer.  He sues companies for millions.  His law firm Web site brags that a magazine named him a "Super Lawyer."  It's not good to fight with a "super lawyer."
This week, he sent Huff a settlement agreement with a new listof demands that she must meet if she hopes to get out from under hislawsuit. It includes one that says she will not seek any furtherpublicity.
"I don't want to harm anyone. I'm trying not to smoke," Huffsaid. "But you know, I cannot do more than that. This is my demon, I'ma smoker. What can I do? I'm smoking for 40 years."
What can she do? Does she have to move? On Thursday night she agreed to his demands.  Give me a break.

ABC News asked people on the street -- smokers andnon-smokers -- what they thought of the lawsuit. We told them that awoman who smokes in her own apartment is being sued by her neighborsbecause they say they can smell the smoke in the hallway, and askedthem for their reactions.
Follow up questions included:How would you react if someone sued you for smoking in your own apartment?
Where can you smoke nowadays?
The neighbors that sued are lawyers themselves. What do you think about that?

CLICK HERE TO SEE SOME OF THEIR RESPONSES

ABC News Producer Frank Mastropolo contributed to this report.
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension

Offline Just_a_Biker

• View Profile
Re: New York City Woman Sued for Smoking by Neighbors in Her Apt
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 08:21:22 AM »
This is only shows how disgusting our society has become...  Someone should sue this "super lawyer" for being  a jackass!!
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero - 55 BC, Rome

Offline Eeyore

• "Never leave your partner behind"
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New York City Woman Sued for Smoking by Neighbors in Her Apt
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 09:50:39 PM »
I do not smoke, I am allergic to it -- But I would not sue a neighbor for smoking in her own home ---
But then again - this is New York City
    "Hey, hey, hey, hey now.  Don't be mean.  We don't have to be mean. because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."      - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The Eighth Dimension