Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Local Man killed in robbery  (Read 3683 times)

Offline OLDigahmah

• View Profile
Local Man killed in robbery
« on: April 25, 2008, 08:57:11 PM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

Off-duty officer kills robber at Denny's
By Kim Bell
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
04/25/2008
[/size]
Denny's
Denny's Restaurant on Hampton Avenue
(Adam Wisneski/P-D)
[/size]UPDATED, 12:15 p.m.

A police officer working security at a Denny's restaurant in St. Louis shot and killed a would-be robber early today, police say.

The dead man has been identified as Brett D. Holloway, 37, of Waynesville, Mo.

Holloway was on parole after serving 12 years in Missouri prison for several robbery convictions out of St. Louis and St. Louis County.

About 1:20 a.m., Holloway walked into the Denny's at 1515 Hampton Avenue and pulled a stocking mask over his face, police say. He pointed a dark-colored handgun at the officer, who was sitting at the counter. The officer was wearing his police uniform, working what's called "secondary" -- hired by the restaurant to act as security.

Detectives aren't sure if Holloway spotted the officer when he first walked into the restaurant. 

The unidentified officer fired several shots, police say. Holloway apparently did not fire his weapon.

After he was shot, Holloway fell behind the counter, still holding his gun, police say. The officer yelled at him to drop the gun, then fired more shots.

Holloway was taken to a hospital, where he died just after 2 a.m. He had been shot several times.

About three or four employees were inside the Denny's at the time. No customers were there. No one else was injured.

As is protocol in police-involved shootings, the officer is on leave while homicide detectives with the St. Louis Police Department investigate the incident to determine if it was a justified shooting.

The officer has been on the St. Louis police force for more than two years.

Holloway's nickname is Mellon Head, according to prison records. He has nine convictions in Missouri -- including for armed robberies he committed in 1993 in St. Louis city and St. Louis County and for possessing a weapon in 1995 at the Farmington Correctional Center. He was sentenced to overlapping terms totalling 25 years in prison. He went to prison in 1994 and was paroled about 12 years later, in September 2006. Brian Hauswirth, a spokesman for the Missouri Department of Corrections, said Holloway was in good standing with his parole officer in Rolla, Mo., going in person as recently as April 16. Next Friday, Holloway was due in Pulaski County court for a hearing on his wife's request for an order of protection. Pulaski County Circuit Clerk Rachelle Beasley said Holloway's wife, Amy Holloway, came to the courhouse on March 25 and asked for an order of protection against her husband. She wrote in her petition that she had "witnessed explosive anger from my husband." Amy Holloway wrote that Brett Holloway became enraged that day, claiming he had all legal rights to their son.

[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

Offline fish

• View Profile
Re: Local Man killed in robbery
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 10:25:38 PM »
9 convictions 12 years in prison. he learned nothing. at least he won't do it again .good riddance

Offline littlebit

• Cunning Linguist
  • Home is what you make it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 02:47:29 AM »
Live by the sword.
Die by the sword.
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous...

“The truth is, everyone is going to end up hurting you. You just have to find the ones who are worth suffering for.”

Offline OLDigahmah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 06:06:15 PM »
That's true but he did have a baby that is less than a year old that will never know his father.  Bad as his father was, he was still his father and he didn't have anything to do with how his dad lived.  Doesn't it make you wonder why he would point a gun at an officer and not pull the trigger.  Maybe he had other plans and wanted the officer to make them come to realization.

Offline jeepguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 02:31:56 PM »
either that or he was just a fu**ing Idiot, my guess is the second. Justice served.

Offline I have no username

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 04:51:56 PM »
many people say the apple doesnt fall far from the tree.  I feel bad for any child without a  parrent, but enviromental factors mold a child's future too.  If you play with fire, you will eventually get burned.  He used the gun as a tool.  Not to kill, but to add leverage to his demands..  not that it makes it any less of a crime, he may not have intended to kill anyone, but when I feel like someone is threatening my life....Ill pull the trigger first too. 
Μολὼν λαβέ

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 05:01:13 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I think the officer definitely did the right thing.  What I think though is that Mr. Holloway may have had a "death wish."  Why else wouldn't he have shot back when he got shot. I don't know him but I think If I was going to rob someplace with a gun and someone shot at me I would shoot back.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!

Offline Geezer Glide Taz

• Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave
  • Riding Vertical Shiny Side Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 05:42:49 PM »
Either that or he was one of those people that can't live on the outside. Probably knew that this place was filled with cops and just wanted to go back to prison where he felt secure.
Unfortunately he was also an idiot. If he was a melon head, it must have been a mush melon
Freedom Of Road Riders,
Protecting and informing riders in Missouri
www.midamericafreedomrally.com

Please watch out for Motorcycles on the road
The life you save might be mine

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 01:16:43 AM »
What I don't understand is the fact that he was working on the base as a shift leader in a mess hall.  Don't they do background checks on the people they hire?? What if he got ticked off at some of his coworkers and decided to go on a rampage!  Just doesn't make sense to me.

Offline OLDigahmah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 12:39:46 AM »
I asked someone about that, they told me that they hire a lot of people on parole.  Their parole officers help them get the job.  That's what I heard, could be wrong. 

Offline soso

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 12:12:22 PM »
You're wrong!!!!!!!!!
"Life should NOT be a  journey to the grave with the  intention of arriving  safely in  an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather to skid in   sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly  used up, totally worn  out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Author Unknown

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 10:45:39 PM »
I would think that a background check which shows a history of violence, theft, or drug dealing would be enough to disqualify a person from being employed on the base.