Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • littlebit: Makes sense.
    July 16, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Boards will stay open for a place people can find history information longer. I am not allowing anyone to sign up for now because of so many foreginers just wanting to promote their business..
    December 10, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Not sure why didn't look, I may be shutting down these message boards..
    November 17, 2016, 12:42:43 AM
  • ~kathy~: rick why is the timestamp showing up a day in advance?
    September 13, 2016, 12:27:46 AM
  • Valor7: What I tried to say is that the actual money would not be there that quick. But a loan against that would work if they are willing to do that.
    August 08, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Why so long before it comes online? 911 took out a loan or bond with the known guarantee payment and began building..
    August 08, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
  • Valor7: Actually no it is not, a dependable Revenue stream will not come on line until the 4th quarter of 2017 so 2018 budget will be up in the air, not quite sure what they will have. By 2019 budget all will be well.
    August 04, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
  • Valor7: You mean that tax that the Commissioners would not put on the ballot for so many years? Strange things happened when the citizens got a chance to vote on that issue.
    August 03, 2016, 06:43:06 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Back up is now available withe the new tax..
    August 03, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
  • Valor7: Thanks a lot Ladies!!
    July 29, 2016, 01:16:13 PM
  • littlebit: ((*(*&
    July 27, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
  • ~kathy~: lol
    July 15, 2016, 09:34:56 AM
  • Valor7: A guy could get killed around here while waiting for backup!
    July 13, 2016, 07:31:58 PM
  • Lepard LLC: You are not alone..
    July 13, 2016, 07:28:53 PM
  • Valor7: I just hate it when I talk to myself!!!!
    July 08, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
  • Valor7: I could have worded that better, we talked details, options, the pros and cons of each, in  order to arrive at the best ballot language to present to the voters. Hope that makes this clearer.
    April 15, 2016, 06:36:14 PM
  • Valor7: sorry about the typos still working with just one arm in action
    April 13, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
  • Valor7: Yes and no. We talked details and options until we were blue in the face but I never heardbring it over, it was always the time was not right for the issue to pass. Glad to see the time in now right and I for one shall vote yes on the ballot. I would urge all others to do the sameour county is busting at the seams crimewise and no matter how many bad guys we send off there always seems to someone to replace them. The Sheriff's Office needs the help.
    April 13, 2016, 01:08:35 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Is that true Valor? Did he ask you what you wanted?
    March 01, 2016, 04:55:37 AM
  • Lepard LLC: Gene Newkirk Rick I have waited for a Sheriff to bring it to me on what he wanted. I have pushed Mr long for a while to get it to me. He told me he was close to having or done. Now hopefully the people will get to decide on it. I spoke with Steve about this a few times.
    March 01, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
  • Kimberly: Wow- I have a new name..........
    February 23, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
  • Lepard LLC: Works on mine, improvements are being done here. I may kick back into her a lot and post but working on different technologies right now. Seeing how things interact.
    January 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
  • Valor7: Yes it is working. If you need a laugh the wife showed me how to correctly use the silly thing.
    January 04, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
  • Valor7: Think so, mine is trying to work but it is now user and password protected and I dont know mine
    December 17, 2015, 01:32:16 PM
  • "DJ": Is there still a working android app for the PCSD
    December 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Poll

Vote For Eastern District Commissioner

Earl Arnold
Bill Farnham

Author Topic: What's your vote for Eastern District Commisioner?  (Read 29009 times)

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What's you vote for Eastern District Commisioner?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2008, 03:43:50 AM »

Share/Bookmark

Fort Wood Hotel

Boards

Devils Elbow

Attractions

Sports

St. Robert

Waynesville

PC Daily

Dixon

Menu Guide

Fun Links

Homework

Crocker

Fort Wood

Swedeborg

Big Piney

Laquey

Classifieds

Restaurants

Richland

Fort  Hotels

I am going to defend Farnham here. I know what you are saying, "Rick's defending Farnham?" Bottom line is, I tell it like I believe it to be. If I think Farnham is wrong, I say so, and if I think he's wronged, I say so.. If in my opinion Farnham had not made mistakes, then I would have never said he had made mistakes..

Farnham has no choice in the boundaries section or wether he gets half the money or not.. Gary Carmack tried to change the boundaries as they should be and failed... The boundaries should be changed because it is a fact that the Eastern District has many more miles than the Western and I do believe it to be unfair to the Eastern District..

One issue I did have with Farnham is that he promised to be a full time Commissioner,  I do not believe this promise was kept.

I'd also like to remind you all that Arnold does support the Law Enforcement Tax, and he would vote to let the taxpayers decide on it.. He told me this himself.

From Pontotoc Mississippi.. Gnite
I won't be voting for Farnham for several reasons:  1) when he ran against Gary Carmack to get the job he bashed Gary for missing some meetings, the fact that Gary was going through cancer treatments at the time didn't matter.  About six months after he was elected, Farnham has back surgery (through the medical insurance provided by the county, amazing how his back went bad just as the insurance was kicking in) and missed meetings.  So, based upon his own standard, he doesn't deserve to be reelected.  (2) In addition, on the budget, he divided the road budget 50/50 with Thornsberry.  That sounds nice, but Farnham's district has more road miles than Thornsberry so he cut us short.  The road budget should of been based on mileage in the district.  (3) Farnham has also hurt the taxpayers on some of his gravel deals.  For instance, he made a purchase for gravel from someone in Dixon at a higher rate per ton than one closer to Waynesville, the Dixon dealer charged more to haul the gravel (no surprise there since it's farther) etc.  In other words, he spent YOUR tax dollars to buy from a friend instead of saving the taxpayer dollars by buying from a competitor who had a better price.  That should be a huge red flag to JB's supporters who talk about the lack of money in the budget.  It's a different pot of money but the principle is the same.  So, even though he may be supportive of the LE tax, his other decisions have not been great and, in my humble opinion, Farnham has not earned another term.  He's looking out for a select few and not the people in his district, his efforts in Big Piney not withstanding. 

Offline ~kathy~

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2008, 04:54:36 AM »
lol crazyhorse that one running on the western side that your afraid of spelling would be rick zweerink
Go ahead and blame me....Everyone else does

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2008, 11:57:20 AM »
Rick, thanks for clearing that up for me.  I believe that Bill Farnham is no longer working in real estate as the business was sold.  I also know that on several occassions that I have called him, he has actually been out with his road crew.

As far as asking Bill Farnham, I never call him unless I feel the matter is important enough to bring to his attention.  Also for those of you who don't know me that well, I always investigate and check out the actual facts before I bring anything to anyone's attention. 

I have found that by following these practices, most people are willing to take my calls and listen to what I have to say.

Offline tlh1224

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2008, 01:04:34 PM »
tlh1224 there is another candidate name of Bobby Miller. He was presiding commissioner back in the 90s. He and Earl are in the democrat primary.
Thank you CrazyHorse, I have been doing some reading.
Sorry about the Mickey Mouse post.
To All my Friends and Family~ It been Great, Take Care and Love all of ya!

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2008, 04:02:37 PM »
Thank you Kate, I was afraid I'd spell it wrong.   
tlh1224, I don't know, Mickey Mouse looks pretty good on some of these races, like president, hahahaha. We got ta have a sense of humor huh.

darrellmaurina

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2008, 01:36:21 AM »
Lois Snyder wrote: "Fedup, I would be interested in the date and location of the gravel work you are refering to.  I also would like to hear from DM regarding the article that Cowboy refers to.  It makes it much easier for me to find answers to the questions you have raised."

Quick response, since my name was brought up ... I plan to ask the County Commissioners on Monday about this. My recollection of the commission discussions is the same as Cowboy's, namely, that the commissioners accepted a list of bids for gravel work from a variety of suppliers, rather than just one low bidder, because the lowest purchase cost may not be relevant if the hauling cost makes it more expensive to haul from a lower bidder who is farther away. Also, sometimes a lower bidder may not have the item available that's needed at a specific time.

Also, I would like to second Lois' request for the specific date and location of the gravel work. If you don't want to post it publicly, please e-mail me privately at reporter@waynesvilledailyguide if there is a specific transaction you'd like me to look into. This is all public record and I'm perfectly willing to do some digging if I get enough preliminary facts to indicate that this is not a wild goose chase. But right now I don't have enough information to do my own investigation beyond a public request to the commissioners for their policy and practice (and maybe any variations from it caused by emergency conditions during the floods and ice storm repairs).

Regards,
Darrell Todd Maurina

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2008, 03:00:54 PM »
Lois Snyder wrote: "Fedup, I would be interested in the date and location of the gravel work you are refering to.  I also would like to hear from DM regarding the article that Cowboy refers to.  It makes it much easier for me to find answers to the questions you have raised."

Quick response, since my name was brought up ... I plan to ask the County Commissioners on Monday about this. My recollection of the commission discussions is the same as Cowboy's, namely, that the commissioners accepted a list of bids for gravel work from a variety of suppliers, rather than just one low bidder, because the lowest purchase cost may not be relevant if the hauling cost makes it more expensive to haul from a lower bidder who is farther away. Also, sometimes a lower bidder may not have the item available that's needed at a specific time.

Also, I would like to second Lois' request for the specific date and location of the gravel work. If you don't want to post it publicly, please e-mail me privately at reporter@waynesvilledailyguide if there is a specific transaction you'd like me to look into. This is all public record and I'm perfectly willing to do some digging if I get enough preliminary facts to indicate that this is not a wild goose chase. But right now I don't have enough information to do my own investigation beyond a public request to the commissioners for their policy and practice (and maybe any variations from it caused by emergency conditions during the floods and ice storm repairs).

Regards,
Darrell Todd Maurina

DM, I believe my point about dividing the budget 50/50 got construed with the boundaries.  As I understand it the commissioners can work the road budget however they want, the boundaries are not a part of that process.  As I understand it, Farnham did agree to a 50/50 split on the road budget, boundaries were not a part of it.  As for the gravel, you may have to go past the current budget year.  He's been in office almost 4 years, not everything I mentioned happened this year.  When running for office he should defend his ENTIRE record, not just the past few months.

Offline cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2008, 03:27:23 PM »
In other words somebody said something sometime and it sounded good so I'll repeat it even thought I don't have a clue if its correct or not.   But we can all spend a lot of time arguing about a non event.  Way to go Fedup.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2008, 03:01:05 AM »
If that is true on the money it is news to me.. Gary can you confirm this?

DM, I believe my point about dividing the budget 50/50 got construed with the boundaries.  As I understand it the commissioners can work the road budget however they want, the boundaries are not a part of that process.  As I understand it, Farnham did agree to a 50/50 split on the road budget, boundaries were not a part of it.  As for the gravel, you may have to go past the current budget year.  He's been in office almost 4 years, not everything I mentioned happened this year.  When running for office he should defend his ENTIRE record, not just the past few months.

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2008, 02:42:18 AM »
If that is true on the money it is news to me.. Gary can you confirm this?

Well Rick, I am running on memory here, and that could be scary:-)  Hope you had a good time in Pontotoc, I used to go through Tupelo, New Albany and Holly Springs all the time.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2008, 03:41:26 AM »
Rick, sure can. The commissioners can work it out. Example, lets say the Eastern dist. commissioner has a big project and the Western is in pretty good shape. You could use more on one side. Dennis and I always worked that out well. Sometimes I might use more gravel than he because of conditions, higher travel, etc. He would understand and then next year he might have a road in bad shape. He might need a new truck this year, me the next. It worked well for us. It is legal and just good common sense.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2008, 04:11:13 AM »
Thanks.. That's common sense.. I guess my point is, someone was was saying he should have had the money divided unevenly to reflect the differences in miles of roads, and Farnham didn't drop the ball by not negotiating these terms beforehand did he?

Rick, sure can. The commissioners can work it out. Example, lets say the Eastern dist. commissioner has a big project and the Western is in pretty good shape. You could use more on one side. Dennis and I always worked that out well. Sometimes I might use more gravel than he because of conditions, higher travel, etc. He would understand and then next year he might have a road in bad shape. He might need a new truck this year, me the next. It worked well for us. It is legal and just good common sense.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2008, 04:15:10 AM »
Had a great time at the Lepard family reunion, but I learned my grandfathers real dads last name was Bradley.. Long story, but I learned I come from the Bradley family near New Albany.. AND I got a speeding ticket following my cousins wife, trying to keep up with her so I wouldn't get lost.. She felt bad, and I rubbed it in..

Well Rick, I am running on memory here, and that could be scary:-)  Hope you had a good time in Pontotoc, I used to go through Tupelo, New Albany and Holly Springs all the time.

Offline Desrt Sky

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2008, 04:23:03 AM »
He was lucky that was the only speeding ticket he got on the trip. lol

Had a great time at the Lepard family reunion, but I learned my grandfathers real dads last name was Bradley.. Long story, but I learned I come from the Bradley family near New Albany.. AND I got a speeding ticket following my cousins wife, trying to keep up with her so I wouldn't get lost.. She felt bad, and I rubbed it in..

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2008, 01:25:25 PM »
Rick, I don't know. When Dennis and I went in the dept. was in the red, I think 400,000. We made up our minds to pay off the debt and balance it...which we did in just two years. It was tough, but we did it. Then we began to systematically upgrade trucks and graders. Many of the trucks were dangerous. One salt truck had no brakes. We actually did great improvements to road & bridge dept. Dennis and I compromised well, him a hardheaded ole Republican, and me a hardheaded ole (conservative) Democrat, hahahaha.

Offline Lepard LLC

• Activist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2008, 01:59:44 PM »
Can you explain how it was possible for them to be in the red? Did they borrow money?

Rick, I don't know. When Dennis and I went in the dept. was in the red, I think 400,000. We made up our minds to pay off the debt and balance it...which we did in just two years. It was tough, but we did it. Then we began to systematically upgrade trucks and graders. Many of the trucks were dangerous. One salt truck had no brakes. We actually did great improvements to road & bridge dept. Dennis and I compromised well, him a hardheaded ole Republican, and me a hardheaded ole (conservative) Democrat, hahahaha.

Offline crazy horse

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2008, 07:42:15 PM »
It was either 200,000 or 400,000, I'll have to look at my notes, I think maybe 200,000 (it was in 2000). I think it was paving roads or buying graders. It took us awhile to figure it out. I remember we were dismayed to have that debt as we took office. We had many tough issues, debt, old equipment, NIDs that were getting old, an ancient overcrowded jail, police cars with two and three hundred thousand miles on them, and 9-1-1.   A lot of people (incorrectly) think that started with our term, but it didn't. It was already a 'hot' and troublesome issue. Yep, everybody should be a county commissioner once, insanity at it's best....

Offline Nitric

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2008, 08:33:14 PM »
And look at how much they managed to accomplish just by working together.

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2008, 11:12:09 PM »
In other words somebody said something sometime and it sounded good so I'll repeat it even thought I don't have a clue if its correct or not.   But we can all spend a lot of time arguing about a non event.  Way to go Fedup.

Cowboy there's been a lot more alleged on this website when it pertains to other folks 

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2008, 11:15:05 PM »
Thanks.. That's common sense.. I guess my point is, someone was was saying he should have had the money divided unevenly to reflect the differences in miles of roads, and Farnham didn't drop the ball by not negotiating these terms beforehand did he?

Rick I think this is common sense:  The commissoner with the most road miles should have more miles to keep up and therefore needs more money.  I didn't say it was illegal, just that agreeing to divide the budget 50/50 shorts the commissioner with more miles. 

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2008, 11:19:20 PM »

I was raised about one and one half hour north of there.  Know the area well and got a few of those tickets my darn self.

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2008, 11:21:54 PM »
It was either 200,000 or 400,000, I'll have to look at my notes, I think maybe 200,000 (it was in 2000). I think it was paving roads or buying graders. It took us awhile to figure it out. I remember we were dismayed to have that debt as we took office. We had many tough issues, debt, old equipment, NIDs that were getting old, an ancient overcrowded jail, police cars with two and three hundred thousand miles on them, and 9-1-1.   A lot of people (incorrectly) think that started with our term, but it didn't. It was already a 'hot' and troublesome issue. Yep, everybody should be a county commissioner once, insanity at it's best....
It was either 200,000 or 400,000, I'll have to look at my notes, I think maybe 200,000 (it was in 2000). I think it was paving roads or buying graders. It took us awhile to figure it out. I remember we were dismayed to have that debt as we took office. We had many tough issues, debt, old equipment, NIDs that were getting old, an ancient overcrowded jail, police cars with two and three hundred thousand miles on them, and 9-1-1.   A lot of people (incorrectly) think that started with our term, but it didn't. It was already a 'hot' and troublesome issue. Yep, everybody should be a county commissioner once, insanity at it's best....

Gary sounds like a lot of the problems being faced now

Offline blissfullybusy

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2008, 01:06:38 AM »
 Bill Farnham. He's doing some great things.  I heard he's trying to get a grant for some Dixon improvements.  I don't live in Dixon, but at least he's pro-active.
Women are Angels

And when someone breaks our wings....

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...

Because we are flexible like that

Offline okie the thread killer

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2008, 01:26:41 AM »
Farnham has my vote, and I like Earl Arnold. I live in a very troubled area and Farnham has always been there to take my calls and come down my road personally to see the damage. And I think he looks for any way possible to help the county. Farnham for me.
I have it on good authority that the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Offline Nitric

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2008, 10:33:20 AM »
Earl Arnold is pretty young but he talks a good talk.  His Daddy was in politics so it probably runs in his blood.

Offline Law101

• Global Moderator
  • Big Piney Community Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2008, 03:06:43 PM »
I was at the Community Center meeting last night and there are actually 3 candidates running for the Eastern District.  Bobby Miller is the one that was left out of our poll.  He is also a former Commissioner who was in office when the old wooden bridge across the Big Piney was replaced with the Ross Bridge.

I spoke with all three of them and after doing so, Bill Farnham still has my support so far.

Offline Desrt Sky

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2008, 07:35:47 PM »
I have added Bobby Milller and reset the poll.

Offline FedUp

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2008, 09:52:06 PM »
So you were just speculating.

Like I said, ask Farnham.  Better yet, get Farnham to come in here and provide the answers. 

Offline igahmah at work

• Global Moderator
  • Some pursue happiness, others create it!
    • View Profile
Re: What's your vote for Eastern District Commisioner?
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2008, 10:09:15 PM »
I thought I read somewhere where  Bill Farnham said he would be a full time commissioner.  He is selling real estate again for Re-Max realty.  He lost my vote.
When I was young, I wanted to be older.  This is not what I expected!